Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Ghost Story

My sister Belinda and her family went to Scotland for a couple of weeks and I house-sat for her. The first Saturday night I spent was fairly uneventful, except that I realized at 4:45 a.m. Sunday morning, the back door was open and one of the cats came in from being outside during the night. I didn't open the door. George, the cat, woke me up and I realized then that the door was ajar. Belinda tells me that she needs to get her door fixed. I think she has a bigger problem.

So last Saturday, I headed up to Lindy's again and got there in the afternoon. There was a car parked by her mailbox and I immediately thought that my cousin Cathy was there. When I went in the front door, I noticed flip flops under the coffee table, so I yelled upstairs, "Hey, Cathy! I didn't know I was going to have company!"

No answer.

I realized then that she wasn't there. I let the cats out and went oustside and watered her plants around the house. I watched a couple of movies and started playing a game on the computer. At about 7:45 p.m. the lights flickered and went out, and the TV turned off. The computer wasn't affected. About 5 seconds later, the lights and the TV came back on and I immediately heard a crash upstairs, as if someone had knocked things off a bedside table. That was followed by the sound of footsteps above me, as if someone was scrambling to maybe pick up the items that had fallen, or that he/she was headed downstairs. I called out, "Cathy! Man, you sleep like the dead! You coming down?"

No answer.

My body went into panick mode. You know. Heart racing while it's in the pit of your stomach. I called up the stairs one more time, "Cathy?"

No answer.

At this point my mind is moving like the speed of light and I think to myself, "Don't do what they do in the movies." I grabbed the phone and immediately left, barefooted, and called Cathy. She wasn't home, so I left her a message. Something to the effect of, "I heard somebody in the house and I'm totally freaked out." and walked immediately to the neighbors and rang their bell. They weren't home. I walked back to Belinda's driveway and then I saw the other neighbor pulling into her driveway with her boyfriend. I walked over and introduced myself and told them what had happened. The boyfriend went upstairs and all through the house and didn't see anything or anybody. That made me feel a little better. He told me I should call the cops anyway, so I did. I also called Cathy again from my cell.

I sat in the dining room waiting for the police. I swear I heard foosteps above me again. I ran out the front door and the police were coming up the driveway. He went through the entire house, and asked if there were animals. Rex and George, the 2 cats, both came in while the policeman was there, so I know they weren't up there causing that commotion. I would have heard the bells on their collars anyway.

I gathered all my things, locked up the doors and left when the police did. I wasn't going to stay there alone. By now I was convinced it was a ghost. Don't care what you think or say. No other explanation in my mind.

I called Kim when I was en route home and he told me I needed to call Cathy so she could take a Quija board over there. He told me that Lindy's house was one of the TB houses from the 1920's. Made me feel a lot better... About LEAVING!

Well, Cathy called me back. She said that there was static during both of my messages to her, but she could tell I was scared out of my mind. She convinced me to go back and she canceled her plans and stayed the night. She was brave enough to go upstairs, but I wasn't.

Lindy's getting Haint Blue paint for Christmas.

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Hey you.
I know someone here in Savannah that has a little girl ghost that lives upstairs on 40-something street. There was a little girl that died in the house years ago.Everyone in the family has seen her except Patty. Ooooooooo!
LYB,
Suzi

Lance and Caetie said...

Mom,

That's a pretty freaky story. There really isn't an explanation?